Download printable versions of the wheat bookmarks
(PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, available at www.adobe.com)
Kansas Wheat Trivia
- It would require a train stretching from western Kansas to the Atlantic Ocean to hold all the wheat produced in Kansas in a single year.
- One bushel of wheat weighs 60 pounds.
- In 2013, the average American consumed about 135 pounds of wheat flour.
- Annual average wheat production in Kansas for the past five years has been about 340 million bushels harvested from 8.4 million acres.
- Approximately half of the wheat produced in Kansas is exported to other countries. Half is used in the United States.
- One 60-pound bushel of wheat provides 42, 1.5-pound loaves of bread.
Cross out the letters G, J, K, Q, U and Z to reveal good things wheat foods provide for your growing body.
G J C G O Q M P Z L E J X Z C K A K R B K O K H K Y D R G A J T E S Q U
G Z K J Q U F K I J B E G R Z Q U J K J L O K W J K F J A T Z J K Q U Z
K J G U Q G U V J I Q T A J M I N S K G J Z Q U Z J K Z J K Z U Q U Z J K
K J K Q U Z U Q Z J K U Q Z U J K J G J K Q U Z P Z R JO T KE I J N G
Scrambled Up with Wheat
Unscramble these words.
1. tproxe - selling products to another country
2. ceosnrev - saving the soil
3. ebmocni - cuts, separates and cleans grain at the same time
4. lubshe - wheat is often bought and sold by this unit of measurement
5. dahr der - class of wheat used to make bread
Beyond the Table
When you hear the word “wheat,” do you automatically think of bread, pasta and other wheat foods?
Did you know that wheat can be used for things other than food? Wheat and wheat straw have many alternative uses that make wheat a valuable crop.
Place an X beside the products that contain wheat.
____ particle board
____ pet and livestock feed
____ laundry detergent
____ packaging peanuts
Choose Grain Foods
What foods are in the grain group?
Any food made from wheat, rice, oats, cornmeal, barley or another cereal grain is a grain product.
Put a “G” beside those foods that belong to the grain group.
____ french fries
____ breakfast cereal
____ whole wheat bread
____ sweet potato