“I love focaccia bread! My version is more in line with my lifestyle, super easy and fast, and my taste buds, burst of spice. My Southwest Focaccia is very hearty and satisfying and I could easily snack on it all day.” — Jane Fry, Elk Falls, Kansas
2017 National Festival of Breads
2 cups warm water (110°F – 115°F)
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 cup frozen (thawed) corn kernels
1 cup diced yellow onion
½ cup drained pickled jalapeño slices, coarsely chopped
¾ cup KING ARTHUR® organic yellow cornmeal
1 – 3 teaspoons chili powder, to taste
2 teaspoons salt
4 ½ – 5 cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour
6 tablespoons salted butter, melted, divided
Pinch of chili sea salt or coarse sea salt, optional
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine water, yeast, and sugar until dissolved. Wait 5 – 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
- Stir in corn, onion, jalapeño, cornmeal, chili powder, salt, and 3 ½ cups flour. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead 10 minutes with dough hook.
- Line a 12" x 18" half sheet pan with parchment. Generously butter the parchment.
- Using wet fingertips, gently stretch and press the dough from the center to the outer edge to fit the pan. Brush the top wih half of the melted butter. Using your fingertips, press deep dimples at 1-inch intervals all over the dough.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap; let the dough rise until light, about 45 minutes. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 400°F.
- When ready to bake, gently dimple the dough again. Drizzle the remaining melted butter over dough’s surface. If desired, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the focaccia from the baking sheet by lifting the parchment onto a rack. Remove parchment and turn it out onto rack. Slice into approximately 1 ½" x 3" pieces. Serve warm. Store focaccia in the refrigerator or freeze.
Yield: 1 large focaccia, 48 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 38g): 80 calories, 15 calories from fat, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 13g total carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 1g sugars, 2g protein, 28mcg folate, 0g vitamin C, 5mg calcium, 1mg iron.