2017 National Festival of Breads Champion
“My family loves my corn pudding, so I used that recipe as an inspiration for this unique bread.” — Ronna Farley, Rockville, Maryland
¼ cup milk
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
½ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup finely diced yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup cream-style sweet corn
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, divided
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, divided
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, divided
2 cups King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour, plus extra for kneading
2 cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour
¾ cup frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
1 tablespoon water
- Heat milk until it reaches 110°F – 115°F. Stir in yeast and wait 5 – 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine skillet mixture, cream-style sweet corn, sugar, 2 eggs, salt, black pepper, 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, and 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds. Exchange paddle for dough hook. Stir in white whole wheat flour, bread flour, and yeast mixture; mix on low speed to blend ingredients.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic, 8 minutes. If needed, add in additional white whole wheat flour, if dough is very sticky. Stir in thawed corn; mix on low speed 1 – 2 minutes or until incorporated in dough.
- Place dough in greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Generously grease a 12 cup (10-inch) Bundt pan.
- Deflate dough. Cut into 25 even pieces. Using lightly floured hands, shape dough into uniform rolls; layer in pan rounded side up. Cover; let rise until doubled, 40 – 50 minutes.
- Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush on dough; sprinkle with remaining seeds.
- Bake 40 – 50 minutes or until golden brown. Tent the bread with foil after 25 minutes. The bread is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted registers about 200°F. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes; loosen edges of bread with knife and transfer to rack to cool.
Yield: 1 loaf, 25 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 ROLL, 59g): 150 calories, 45 calories from fat, 5g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 21g total carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 4g protein, 26mcg folate, 1mg vitamin C, 13mg calcium, 1mg iron.