Mulled Spiced Apple Cider Crisp Loaves
Home Baker Division Finalist
2019 National Festival of Breads
"I combined mulling spices with two of my favorite desserts....Apple Crisp and Cinnamon Rolls. The result was a cozy, all-American dessert bread sure to please even the most refined palates." — Tiffany Aaron, Quitman, Arkansas
Mulled Spiced Cider
8 whole green cardamom pods
8 whole cloves
4 whole star anise
4 cinnamon sticks
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, diced
1 ½ cups unsweetened apple juice
¼ cup pure maple syrup
1 cup warm 2% milk (110°F – 115°F)
½ cup dark brown sugar
2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup mashed apple, reserved from cider
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 ½ – 3 cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour
2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
Filling & Topping
1 ½ cups quick-cooking oats
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup dark brown sugar
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
2 tablespoons KING ARTHUR® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
½ cup butter, softened
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cup confectioners’ sugar
6 tablespoons mulled spiced cider
- For mulled spiced cider: Place cardamom, cloves, and anise in a spice bag and securely tie. In medium saucepan, combine spice bag, cinnamon sticks, apple, apple juice and syrup. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer on low 10 minutes. Remove apple, drain well and mash. Reserve mulled spiced cider.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine milk, brown sugar and yeast; wait 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof). Stir in egg, mashed apple and butter.
- Mix in all-purpose flour, 2 cups bread flour, apple pie spice and salt. Gradually add enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough; knead 10 minutes. Transfer dough to greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled.
- For filling: In medium bowl, stir together oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, melted butter and ½ cup pecans.
- For topping: Measure ½ cup of filling and place in separate bowl. Stir in remaining pecans and flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 15” x 24” rectangle. Spread softened butter on dough leaving ½” border; sprinkle on filling. Starting on 24” side, tightly roll. Cut into two 12” logs; place seam-side down on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Cut each log into twelve 1” slices, leaving slices slightly connected at the bottom. Lay each slice to the side, cut-side up, alternating left and right. Sprinkle on topping. Cover; let rise 30 minutes.
- Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 25 – 30 minutes. Rotate pan and tent bread with foil after 15 minutes. Bread is done when golden and internal temperature registers about 200°F.
- Whisk together glaze ingredients and drizzle on warm loaves.
Yield: 2 loaves, 12 servings each.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 86g): 328 calories, 110 calories from fat, 13g fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 50g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 25g sugars, 5g protein, 56mcg folate, 2mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.