Home Baker Division Champion
2019 National Festival of Breads
& Public Choice Award Winner
"The warm, comforting spices in Chai are one of my family's favorites and pairs perfectly with the Ube."— RaChelle Hubsmith, North Logan, Utah
1 cup boiled and mashed Ube purple yam* (about 2 medium)
¼ cup warm water (110°F – 115°F)
2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
¾ cup whole milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch ground black pepper
1 large egg
4 – 4 ½ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup honey
Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Wash yams. In saucepan, cook yams in water until tender, drain, remove skin and mash. Set aside to cool.
- In small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup warm water, yeast and sugar. Wait 5 – 10 minutes for mixture to proof.
- In small saucepan, warm milk on medium-low until scalded (180°F). Stir in butter until melted. Pour into bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Mix in brown sugar, mashed yam, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, cloves and black pepper. Mix in egg and yeast mixture until combined.
- Exchange whisk attachment for dough hook. Gradually beat in flour until a soft dough forms. Knead 10 minutes. Transfer dough to large greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled.
- Deflate dough. On floured work surface, roll dough into 24” x 18” rectangle. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Using 3 ½” round cutter or wide mouth canning jar ring, cut 36 circles. Place 3 circles in a vertical row, slightly overlapping edges. Starting on short side, roll up dough and seal edges. Make one vertical cut in center to form 2 rosettes. Place each in well-greased, 12-cup muffin tins. Repeat with remaining circles. Re-roll scraps. Cover rosettes with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 12 – 15 minutes or until done. Remove rolls to a rack to cool.
- To make topping: Soften butter and stir in honey. Brush over warm rolls. Garnish with mint leaves.
*Orange sweet potatoes may be substituted.
Yield: 24 – 30 rolls
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 ROLL, 48g); 150 calories, 40 calories from fat, 4.5g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 3g protein, 44mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron