Melissa Hinrichs, Elkhorn, Nebraska
3 tablespoons honey
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
3 ½ - 4 cups King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour, divided
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
½ cup creamy peanut butter
8 cups water
¼ cup baking soda
1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons coarse sea salt or pretzel salt (optional)
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine water, honey and yeast. Wait 5 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
- Add 3 ½ cups flour, butter and salt. Gradually add more flour to make a soft dough. Knead dough 3 - 4 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover; let rise until doubled.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Drop 48, ¼ teaspoons of peanut butter onto parchment. Freeze 20 - 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a 12” log; cut into 12 pieces. Keep dough covered.
- Flatten dough in small circle and place one piece of peanut butter in center. Wrap dough around peanut butter and pinch ends firmly to seal forming a smooth ball. Place balls on a baking sheet; refrigerate 5 - 10 minutes.
- For the water bath: In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a rapid boil.
- Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray. Carefully place 12 balls into water bath at a time; cook about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spatula or spoon; transfer balls to baking sheets keeping smooth sides up and not touching.
- Brush with egg wash; if desired, sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake 10 - 12 minutes, until golden. Serve warm. Pretzel balls may be frozen and warmed in microwave.
KWC Test Kitchen Variation: In place of topping with salt, combine 1 tablespoon turbinado raw cane sugar and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon to sprinkle on just before baking.
Yield: 48 pretzel balls
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 BALL, 24g): 69 calories, 2g protein, 10g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 2mg cholesterol, 4mcg folate, 90mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 0mg iron, 1mg calcium.