Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Rolls
A gorgeous colored roll that is perfect for holiday meals.
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes or pumpkin
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 package RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
1 ¼ cups lukewarm water (110-115°F)
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 ¼ - 5 ½ cups bread flour
- In large mixing bowl, blend lukewarm (110°F) sweet potatoes or pumpkin together with margarine.
- Dissolve yeast in water; stir into potatoes or pumpkin. Add egg, salt, and sugar; blend. Gradually add 4 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes, being careful not to add extra flour. (The dough will be sticky.) Place dough in a greased bowl; turn to grease top.* Cover; let rise in warm place until double.
- Punch down dough; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into desired shapes. Cover; let rise in warm place until double.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven 15 to 16 minutes, or until golden.
Note: Dough may be covered and refrigerated at this time for later baking. Punch down whenever double in size. Use within 2 days. To use, keep covered and let dough reach room temperature. Proceed with directions as stated.
Cindy’s Test Kitchen Tip:
If you are using a 15 oz. can of pumpkin, I don’t care to have leftover pumpkin, so 1 ½ times the recipe to use the rest of the can of pumpkin. Thus, I use: 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin; 4 ½ tablespoons margarine or butter; 3 ¼ teaspoons yeast; 1 ¾ cups lukewarm water; 2 eggs; 1 ½ teaspoons salt; 4 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar, and 8-8 1/4 cups bread flour. If you use a whole can of pumpkin and scale out 2 oz. doughballs, you should end up with 40 rolls.
Makes 24 rolls.
Nutrition information per serving (one roll): 137 cal, 2 g fat, 9 mg chol, 119 mg sodium, 25 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 4 g pro, 55 mcg folate.