Sweet Potato Flip’em Rolls
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (2 medium)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 ¼ cups warm water or sweet potato water* (110°F-115°F)
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 ¼-5 ½ cups bread flour
*Reserve water sweet potatoes are cooked in.
- Wash sweet potatoes, peel and cut in chunks. In saucepan, boil sweet potatoes until tender, drain. Set aside to cool till lukewarm and mash until no lumps remain.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine sweet potatoes and butter.
- In measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together warm water and yeast. Wait 5 -10 minutes for mixture to proof. Stir into potatoes.
- Add egg, salt and sugar; blend. Gradually add 4 cups flour; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Knead 8 - 10 minutes with dough hook or by hand being careful not to add too much extra flour.
- Transfer dough to large greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until doubled.
- Punch down dough; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough into a 14” circle. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut 12 equal wedge-shaped pieces.
- Pick up each triangle at the wide edge and flip the dough toward you several times. Pinch the point to the roll to prevent unrolling and lay point side down on a lightly greased baking sheet or parchment-lined baking sheets. Curve ends of each roll on baking sheet to form crescent shape. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover rolls; let rise until almost doubled in size. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 15 - 17 minutes or until lightly golden and internal temperature is 190°F. Remove rolls to a rack and cool. Serve with butter and jelly.
Test Kitchen Tips:Dough may be kneaded, covered and refrigerated overnight. Remove from refrigerator and let set 1 hour before shaping. This dough makes excellent cinnamon rolls.
Yield: 24 rolls.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 ROLL, 63g): 150 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 27g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 2g sugars, 4g protein, 59mcg folate, 2mg vitamin C, 2 mg iron.