Maggie Sleichter, Clay Center, Kansas
~~~~~~ 2021 National Festival of Breads Youth Division Finalist ~~~~~
Special Award: People’s Choice Award Winner
“Strawberry lemonade is a flavor combination that I’ve never tried in bread before. I have a big family and they love to taste test recipes.”
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 medium lemon)
1 (16-ounce) package frozen unsweetened strawberries
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar substitute*
1 cup warm whole milk (110°F - 115°F)
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Quick-Rise™ Yeast
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar substitute*
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
3 ¼ - 3 ½ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, divided
1 large egg plus 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
Lemon Glaze (optional)
1 cup low-calorie confectioners’ sugar substitute**
3 - 4 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon lemon extract or lemon juice
Yellow food color, optional
*Truvia Sweet Complete® Granulated All-Purpose Sweetener
**Truvia Sweet Complete® Confectioners Sweetener
- For strawberry jam: Zest the lemon before juicing and set aside. In medium saucepan, combine frozen strawberries, sugar substitute and lemon juice. Cook, stirring frequently over medium heat, mashing berries with a potato masher. Cook until mixture thickens, 25 - 30 minutes. Mixture should be very thick and spreadable. Remove from heat and cool.
- For dough: In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine warm milk, yeast and sugar substitute; let set 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter, egg, lemon extract, vanilla, salt and dry milk. Gradually add enough flour until soft dough forms, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl.
- Exchange paddle for dough hook. Knead 8 - 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Deflate dough; divide into 12 equal pieces and cover. Roll each piece into a 12" x 4" rectangle. Sprinkle on ¼ teaspoon lemon zest and spread on 1 tablespoon strawberry jam almost to edges.
- Starting at the long side, roll tightly into a log. Pinch seam to seal. Transfer onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and freeze 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer. With seam-side down, cut log in half lengthwise, leaving ¼" uncut at one end. With cut-sides up, twist together a few times. Starting with one end, which becomes the center, wrap dough around in a swirling motion to form a snail shape. Tuck end under roll and pinch to seal. Place on two 18" x 13" parchment-lined baking sheets. Cover; let rise until doubled, or finger indentation remains when dough is touched, about 45 - 50 minutes.
- Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk egg with water and brush on rolls. Bake 18 - 20 minutes, or until lightly golden and internal temperature is 190°F - 195°F. Let cool on baking sheet 1 minute, then transfer to wire rack.
- For lemon glaze: Whisk ingredients until smooth and desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over cooled rolls.
Test Kitchen Note: Pure cane granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar may be substituted in equal amounts.
Yield: 12 rolls
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 UNGLAZED ROLL, 129g): 270 calories, 50 calories from fat, 6g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 45mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 6g protein, 80mcg folate, 19mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.