Prep Time: 2 hours
Bake Time: 14 minutes
Yield: 30 rolls
2 packages RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
(110-115 degrees F)
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup rolled wheat or rolled oats, dry
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon anise seed
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons molasses
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
2 cups rye flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, pour boiling water over rolled oats, sugar, salt, anise seed, shortening and molasses. Cool to lukewarm (110 degrees F). Stir in dissolved yeast.
- Mix in 2 cups bread flour and wheat gluten; beat until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually add rye flour. Cover; allow dough to rest 10 minutes.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead in as much of the remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead 8 to 10 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until double, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Punch down dough and let rise 30 minutes longer. Shape into desired shape or knots. To shape knots, divide dough into 36 equal pieces. Shape each into a strip about 9 inches long by rolling between hands. Tie in loose knot, being careful not to stretch dough.
- Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover; let rise until double. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven 14 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Per serving (one roll): 90 cal, 2 g fat, 0 mg chol, 132 mg sodium, 16 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 2 g pro, 28 mcg folate.
Kansas Wheat Commission Test Kitchen Note: This dough can be used for any shape or size roll.