KWC Spokesperson, Christy Wagner, Manhattan, and her wonderful Pecan Twists recipe were featured in the April 1994 issue of Midwest Living magazine.
2 packages RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
½ cup lukewarm water (110-115°F)
1 cup low-fat milk, warmed (110°F)
6 tablespoons margarine, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
5 ½ - 6 cups bread flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
⅓ cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅔ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup margarine, melted
- Dissolve yeast in water. In large bowl, combine milk, margarine, sugar, salt, eggs, and yeast. Stir in 3 cups of the flour. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead 10 to 12 minutes by hand or with dough hook. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double.
- Punch down dough and divide into four equal pieces. Cover, let rest 10 minutes.
- For filling, stir together brown sugar, confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Roll two pieces of dough into 12 x 9-inch rectangles. Brush one rectangle with half of the melted margarine; sprinkle with half of the filling. Place second rectangle on top of first. Seal edges. Cut crosswise into 1-inch strips.
- Twist each strip a few times. Starting with one end, which becomes the center, wrap dough around in a swirling motion, continuing to twist as the dough is wrapped. Tuck end under roll. Place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 13 to 15 minutes. If desired, glaze with 1 ½ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon melted margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 tablespoons milk.
Makes 24 rolls.
Nutrition information per serving (one unglazed roll): 229 cal, 8 g fat, 19 mg chol, 108 mg sodium, 34 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 5 g pro, 65 mcg folate.