2015 National Festival of Breads
Special Award: Best Recipe Using C&H® or Domino® Sugar
Sponsored by C&H®/Domino® Sugar
Mary Shivers, Ada, Oklahoma
“Kolaches (koh-LAH-chees) are fabulous served with steaming mugs of coffee. I like my dough recipe because the sour cream makes the kolaches tender. The orange zest glaze complements the sweet cream cheese filling.”
Yield: 24 kolaches.
½ cup (4 ounces) warm water (110°-115°F)
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon C&H® or Domino® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream, room temperature
½ cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup (3 ½ ounces) C&H® or Domino® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
4 cups (17 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided, plus ¾ cup (3 1/8 ounces) more for kneading and rolling
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
¾ cup (5 ¼ ounces) C&H® or Domino® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (8 ounces) C&H® or Domino® Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons (1 to 1 ½ ounces) water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Wait 5 to 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
- Beat in sour cream, butter, sugar, salt, eggs, orange zest, and 1 cup flour. Exchange paddle for dough hook, and gradually add remaining 3 cups flour. Knead on medium speed 10 to 12 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 1 ½ hours.
- Line two 14” x 20” baking sheets with parchment. Deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly floured work surface. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces and shape into smooth balls. Place 2” apart on baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cover; let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes. Toward the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F.
- While dough is rising, beat together filling ingredients. Use fingers to make a deep indentation in each ball, about 2” in diameter. Spoon in 1 heaping tablespoon filling. Let rise 15 minutes.
- Bake 20 to 23 minutes or until lightly golden, rotating baking sheets after 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and after 10 minutes transfer to racks to cool.
- Whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth, and drizzle over cooled kolaches.
Test Kitchen Note: For food safety reasons, store in refrigerator or freeze for later use.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 kolache, 84g): 280 calories, 12g fat, 1g fiber, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 40g carbohydrates, 50mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 4g protein, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 31mg calcium.