Home Baker Division Finalist
2019 National Festival of Breads
“We had mashed potatoes leftover from dinner, and with a few extra ingredients, it came together beautifully into this delicious, hearty bread.” — Lauren Katz, Ashburn, Virginia
3 ¾ cups KING ARTHUR® Bread Flour, plus more for shaping
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cups mashed potatoes
¼ cup sour cream
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ – ¾ cup whole milk (120°F – 130°F)
¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ cup crispy cooked bacon, crumbled (about 5 slices)
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, yeast, salt and sugar.
- In medium bowl, combine mashed potatoes, sour cream and vegetable oil; heat to 120°F – 130°F. Whisk well and pour into flour mixture. Stir together and gradually beat in enough milk to create a workable dough.
- Knead dough 5 minutes on lightly floured work surface and form into a ball. Place dough in large greased bowl. Cover; let rise 20 minutes.
- For filling: In bowl, stir together chives, cheese and bacon.
- Deflate and flatten dough into a rough oval. Sprinkle filling evenly over dough, pressing in. Fold dough in half and knead until filling is well distributed.
- Return dough to bowl. Cover; let rise 45 minutes, until doubled.
- Deflate dough and divide in half. Form each half into potato-shaped (oval) loaves. Seal ends and seam. Roll loaves in a small amount of flour; dust off excess. Place loaves side-by-side on a parchment-lined 12” x 18” baking sheet, at least 3” apart. Cover; let rise 45 minutes, until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Using sharp knife, make ½” deep long “X” cut on top of each loaf. Bake 25 – 30 minutes, until golden and internal temperature registers 200°F – 210°F. Cool 15 minutes and serve warm.
Time-Saving Tip: Use prepared mashed potatoes found in the refrigerated section at supermarket and pre-cooked bacon
Yield: 2 loaves, 16 servings each
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 43g): 100 calories, 30 calories from fat, 4g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 14g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 0g sugars, 3g protein, 31mcg folate, 1mg vitamin C, 1mg iron