Barbara Estabrook, Appleton, WIsconsin
~~~~~~ 2021 National Festival of Breads Adult Division Finalist ~~~~~
“I created a healthful bread using local wild rice, dried tart cherries, pecans and maple syrup. I love my bread lightly toasted and spread with maple-laced butter.”
½ cup cooked cultivated wild rice, cooled
½ cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
1 cup KING ARTHUR® White Whole Wheat Flour
2 - 2 ¼ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Quick-Rise™ Yeast
1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, dark grade
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ teaspoon pure maple extract or pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
½ cup coarsely chopped sweetened dried tart cherries
½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Cook wild rice according to package directions to yield ½ cup cooked rice; let cool. To toast pecans, spread in ungreased pan. Bake in preheated 350°F. oven 5 - 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until brown.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine white whole wheat flour, ¾ cup bread flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In small saucepan over low heat, stir milk, water, maple syrup, butter and extract together; heat to 120°F - 130°F. Pour into mixer bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes; scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat in marmalade on low speed until combined. Stir in wild rice, cherries, pecans and enough remaining bread flour to create a soft, slightly tacky dough.
- Knead by hand or with dough hook 8 - 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Form dough in a ball, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease a deep 9" round cake pan. Gently deflate dough and re-shape into a 6" - 7" round loaf and place in pan. Cover; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Carefully cut a ¼" deep “X” in top of loaf. Bake 35 - 40 minutes, or until golden brown and internal temperature is 195°F - 200°F. Tent with foil if top is browning too quickly.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to rack and brush with melted butter.
Note from Barbara: If you do not have a stand mixer you may easily mix the dough in a large mixing bowl and knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface.
Yield: 1 loaf, 16 servings
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 SLICE, 65g): 180 calories, 40 calories from fat, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 5g protein, 39mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron.