Food Blogger Division Finalist
2019 National Festival of Breads
Online People's Choice Award Winner
sponsored by John Deere
"Whether you're a beet lover or not, you won't be able to resist the sweet and earthy flavors of this pretty bread, made from nothing other than my favorite vegetable." — Shauna Havey, Roy, Utah
2 medium fresh beets
1/3 cup (3.5 ounces) almond paste
2 tablespoons KING ARTHUR® Almond Flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
¼ cup finely chopped sliced almonds, divided
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (110°F – 115°F)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk
3 ½ – 3 ¾ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour
Egg wash & Topping
1 large egg white, plus 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons finely chopped sliced almonds
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- To roast beets: Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse beets well; trim stems leaving 2 inches. Wrap in foil and place on rimmed baking sheet, roast 1 hour or until fork tender. Cool slightly, remove skin, and mash.
- For filling: In bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade, crumble almond paste. Pulse 4 ½ ounces (2/3 cup) beets, almond flour, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and egg white until a thick puree. Cover and refrigerate.
- For dough: Combine warm almond milk, sugar and yeast; let proof 5 minutes.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix butter, egg, almond extract, vanilla, salt, dry milk and yeast mixture.
- Exchange paddle for dough hook; gradually stir in enough flour until soft dough is formed. Knead on low speed 7 minutes. Transfer dough to greased bowl. Cover; let rise 1 hour.
- Deflate dough; scale into 12 equal pieces. Roll each into 12” x 3” rectangle. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon filling on dough almost to edges, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon almonds.
- Starting from long end, roll each into a log. Place logs on cookie sheet; cover and place in freezer 10 minutes. With seam-side down, cut log in half lengthwise. With cut-sides up, starting in center, twist together. Shape into a wreath; pinch ends together and seal.
- Place rolls on two 12” x 18” parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving 2” between each roll. Cover; let rise until almost doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk egg white with water and brush on rolls. Sprinkle on almonds and turbinado sugar. Bake 18 – 20 minutes, until lightly golden and internal temperature is 190°F – 195°F. Remove rolls to rack and cool.
Yield: 12 rolls.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 ROLL, 118g): 340 calories, 100 calories from fat, 11g fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 50g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 17g sugars, 9g protein, 90mcg folate, 2mg vitamin C, 3mg iron.