“My Finnish grandmother always crushed seeds from fresh green cardamom pods, knowing
the dramatic flavor difference it made over ground cardamom. I worked sprouted wheat
flour into my grandmother’s basic recipe and used the convenience of preparing the dough
in a bread machine.” — Patrice Hurd, Bemidji, Minnesota
- 2 large eggs (reserve 1 tablespoon for topping)
- 1 (5-ounce) can (2/3 cup) evaporated milk, 80°F
- ¼ cup water, 80°F
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup King Arthur® 100% Whole Grain Sprouted Wheat Flour
- 2 cups King Arthur® Unbleached
- All-Purpose Flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole green cardamom pods, approximately*
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Reserved tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon Pearl sugar
- In small bowl, lightly whisk eggs. Reserve 1 tablespoon for topping, cover and refrigerate.
- Place the remaining eggs and dough ingredients into the bucket of a bread machine. Select the DOUGH cycle, and press start. Add additional water or flour as needed to form a very soft dough.
- For the filling: Crush cardamom pods and remove enough seeds to equal 1 ½ teaspoons. Toast seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes, shaking pan occasionally; immediately remove seeds from skillet to cool. Place seeds and granulated sugar in spice grinder or mortar and pestle; process until seeds resemble ground black pepper. In a small bowl, beat the cardamom-sugar mixture, brown sugar, and butter until smooth.
- Lightly grease a 9" springform pan with removable bottom. Line bottom with an 11" parchment round, extending edges up over pan seam.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16" x 12" rectangle; spread filling to within ½" of edges. Starting at the long edge, roll the dough up like a jelly roll; pinch seam to seal. Place seam-side down. Cut roll in half lengthwise, leaving 1" at the top uncut; twist the length of each cut side six times. On work surface, turn one end inward and coil the entire length of dough into a spiral shape, forming an 8" round. Lift coil into pan, tucking the end under loaf.
- Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°F; remove reserved egg from refrigerator. Brush the top with egg; do not let egg pool in seams. Decorate with Pearl sugar.
- Bake 30 – 35 minutes, until bread is golden and center registers 190°F – 195°F on an instant-read thermometer. Tent with foil to keep from over-browning. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Loosen edge with knife and remove the springform ring. Transfer to rack and let cool on parchment. Remove parchment and transfer the crown to a serving plate.
1 loaf, 20 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
(1 SLICE, 48g): 150 calories, 45 calories from fat, 5g fat, 32g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 9g sugars, 3g protein, 30mcg folate, 1mg vitamin C, 27mg calcium, 1mg iron.
*Note from Patrice:
To ensure freshness, I buy small amounts of green cardamom pods at stores with bulk spices. Fresh inner seeds should be black; discard light brown seeds, as they are old and won’t be as flavorful.