Bake Time: 10-12 minutes
Yield: 100 servings
All-purpose flour 5 lbs.
Whole wheat flour* 5 lbs.
Dry milk powder, nonfat 3 ozs.
Salt 2 ozs.
Sugar 10 ozs.
Yeast, instant 2 1/4 ozs.
Shortening 1 lb.
Water** 3 qts.
Egg 1 large
Water 3 Tbsps.
Sunflower seeds 6 ozs.
1. For best results, have all ingredients at room temperature. Place all-purpose and whole wheat flour in mixer bowl. Take temperature of flours using stem thermometer. Add rest of dry ingredients (dry milk, salt, sugar, and yeast) to mixer bowl. Using dough hook, blend on low speed for approximately 2 minutes.
2. Add shortening and blend on low speed for approximately 2 minutes.
3. Determine water temperature needed (145° F minus the temperature of the flours). Add water, saving some back, until dough appears of proper consistency. Mix on low speed for 1 minute.
4. Knead dough on medium speed for 10-11 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. (Dough should be checked after 8 minutes using gluten stretch test.)
5. Let dough rest 10 minutes—cover to prevent drying out.
6. Roll 4.5 lb. pieces of dough into a rectangle approximately 12"X25". Cut 25 strips. Twist each strip into a bread stick or pretzel. Place on 18"X26"X1"sheet pans.
7. Brush with a wash mixture of egg and water (3 Tbsps.). Top with sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
8. Bake until golden brown: Convection oven: 350° F for 10-12 minutes.
Per Serving: 225 calories, 6 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, .15 mg cholesterol, 141 mg phosphorus, 161 mg potassium, 227 mg sodium, 5.64 RE vitamin A, .07 mg vitamin C, .28 mg thiamin, .21 mg riboflavin, 3.15 mg niacin, 23 mg calcium, 2.14 mg iron, 1.01 mg zinc.