Tiffany Aaron, Quitman, Arkansas
1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Quick∙Rise™ Yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 ½ teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic
1 ¼ cups King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
¼ cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
¾ - 1 cup King Arthur® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons basil pesto
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
1. In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, stir together water, sugar and yeast. Wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to foam (proof).
2. Stir in oil, salt, Italian seasoning and garlic. Mix in white whole wheat flour and Parmesan cheese. Gradually add enough all-purpose flour, until dough starts to pull away from sides of bowl. Knead 5 minutes.
3. Press dough in a greased 10” cast-iron skillet or 9” round baking pan. Cover; let rise 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake 20 - 23 minutes until golden brown.
4. For the topping: Melt butter; stir in pesto and garlic powder. Remove bread from oven and immediately brush with topping.
5. Cut in wedges and serve warm with remaining Pesto-Garlic Butter Topping.
Yield: 1 loaf, 10 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 58g)
170 calories, 5g protein, 22g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 7g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 8mg cholesterol, 33mcg folate, 290mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 33mg calcium.