Gale Collier, Redmond, OR
Prep Time: 3 hours
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 18 rolls
"I love my bread machine to make dough. This is a classic example as I was making some granola breakfast rolls and I noticed my almost empty box of Raisin Bran cereal on the counter. I added it in the recipe and this recipe has become a favorite of my children and husband."
1 cup Raisin Bran cereal
1 cup granola*
1 1/2 cups water, room temperature (80ºF)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 1/3 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup California raisins
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
*Quaker Natural Granola with Oats, Honey & Raisins
1 cup granola
1 egg white, beaten
1. Place Raisin Bran cereal and granola in large plastic bag. Finely crush using a rolling pin.
2. Have ingredients at room temperature. Add ingredients to the bread machine’s pan as suggested by the manufacturer. Program on DOUGH cycle (about 1 1/2 hours). Check the dough’s consistency after 5 minutes. If it is too dry, add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon water; if dough is too wet, add 1 tablespoon flour at a time to form a soft dough.
3. For topping, place 1 cup granola in plastic bag; using rolling pin finely crush. Place egg white in small bowl and beat with fork.
4. When cycle is complete, remove dough and divide into 18 equal pieces; shape into rolls.
5. Dip each roll in egg white and granola, lightly pressing granola onto dough.
6. Place rolls onto greased, 13 x 18-inch sheet pan. Cover, let rise until double.
7. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven 17 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rolls from pan and cool on wire rack.
Makes 18 rolls. One roll provides approximately 194 calories; 6 g protein; 38 g carbohydrate; 3 g dietary fiber; 3 g fat (1 g saturated); 4 mg cholesterol; 50 mcg folate; 2 mg iron and 195 mg sodium.
To prepare dough without bread machine:
In electric mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm (100º to 110ºF) water. Let stand 10 minutes. Add crushed cereal, granola and raisins. Add dry milk, buttermilk, brown sugar, honey, whole wheat flour, 2 cups bread flour, cinnamon, butter and salt. Mix 2 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup bread flour to make slightly sticky dough. Knead dough by hand or with dough hook 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. Punch down dough. Continue to Step 3.