1 tablespoon RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
1 cup lukewarm water (110-115°F)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
Cornmeal or wheat germ
1. In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in ½ cup water. Stir in remaining ½ cup water mixed with oil. Vigorously stir in whole wheat flour, salt, and all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead dough about 10 minutes or until elastic, adding only enough flour to manage the dough. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover, let rise at room temperature until double, about 1 ½ hours.
3. Punch down dough and roll into long cylinder on lightly floured surface. Cut into 12 equal pieces.
4. Form each piece into a smooth ball. Cover, let rest 5 minutes.
5. With rolling pin, roll each ball out on lightly floured surface, flipping circles and using just enough flour to keep it from sticking. Make rounds as even and flat as possible, about 6 inches in diameter and ¼-inch thick.
6. Sprinkle cornmeal or wheat germ on baking sheet to prevent sticking. Place 3 to 4 pitas on each baking sheet. Move oven shelf to lowest position and allow pitas to rest while oven preheats to 500°F.
7. Work quickly so heat is not lost placing baking sheet on bottom oven rack. Bake 1 ½ minutes without peeking. Dough will begin to puff up. Continue baking 1 to 2 more minutes. (Little browning will occur since there is no sugar in the recipe.)
8. Remove from oven and cool on rack. Cut each pita in half. Eat fresh with a variety of fillings, or package and store in refrigerator or freezer.
Makes 12, 6-inch pitas
Nutrition information per serving (one pita): 123 cal, 2 g fat, 0 mg chol, 196 mg sodium, 24 g carbo, 2 g fiber, 4 g pro, 60 mcg folate.