Food Blogger Division Finalist
"I created my recipe as a nod to childhood. My favorite lunchbox was one that included a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, pretzels, and banana lovingly packed by my mom." — Suzy Neal, Sautee Nacoochee, Georgia
- 2 cups warm water (110°F – 115°F)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
- ½ cup powdered peanut butter*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 – 5 ¼ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 10 cups water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk plus 2 teaspoons water
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts
- 1 – 1 ½ teaspoons KING ARTHUR® Pretzel Salt
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine water, honey and yeast; let proof 5 minutes.
- Mix in powdered peanut butter, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, butter and salt. Gradually add enough flour to form a soft dough that pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Knead dough with hook 3 – 4 minutes to form a smooth dough. Grease large bowl with 2 teaspoons vegetable oil. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Deflate dough and turn out on floured work surface. Scale 3-ounce pieces of dough; shape into smooth rolls. Place rolls on a greased 12” x 18” pan or lined with nonstick baking mat.
- In 4-quart or larger Dutch oven, combine water and baking soda, bring to a boil. Boil 3 rolls at a time for 40 – 45 seconds, turning occasionally. Use slotted spoon to remove rolls to pan.
- Using a sharp knife, cut ¼” deep “X” in the top of rolls. Beat together egg yolk and water; brush on rolls. Sprinkle on peanuts and salt.
- Bake on middle rack of oven 20 – 25 minutes until dark golden brown and internal temperature is 205°F – 210°F. Remove rolls to a rack and cool. Serve with butter and jam.
*Suzy uses PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
(1 ROLL, 115g): 233 calories, 45 calories from fat, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 40g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 7g protein, 92mcg folate, 2mg vitamin C, 3mg iron.