“July 4 is a big celebration in my family and these hamburger buns fit right in with all of our traditions of the Peachtree Road Race and a family cookout. The cheese is in the bun!”
1 cup King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat Flour
3-3 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
1 (1/4 ounce) package rapid rise yeast
1 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon finely minced green jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon finely minced red jalapeno pepper
1 3/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, room temperature, divided
3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese, room temperature, divided
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
1. In bowl of mixer, combine whole wheat flour, 2 1/2 cups bread flour, and yeast.
2. Heat water and olive oil to 120º to 130ºF. Add to bowl mixture; beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
3. Add salt, green and red jalapeno peppers, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese and enough of the remaining bread flour to make moderately soft dough.
4. Knead dough by hand or with dough hook 5 to 8 minutes.
5. Cover dough in bowl, let rest 10 minutes (replaces first rise in 2-rise recipes).
6. Divide dough into 16 equal balls. Flatten balls with rolling pin to 4 inches in diameter. Place on baking sheets that have been dusted with cornmeal. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double.
7. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Brush bun tops with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining Cheddar cheese and Asiago cheese.
8. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove buns from pan. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 16 buns. One bun provides approximately 376 calories; 13 g protein; 55 g carbohydrate; 3 g dietary fiber; 10 g fat (4 g saturated); 27 mg cholesterol; 138 mcg folate; 3 mg iron and 360 mg sodium.
KWC Test Kitchen Tip: Wear plastic gloves to handle peppers. Use a mini food processor to finely chop jalapeno peppers.