“I love using the King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour to add fiber to a sweet bread, without weighing it down. The honey glaze adds a little sweetness and a pretty shine.” — Carlene Carter, Lincoln, Illinois
Special Award: Best Recipe Using King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
Sponsored by Farmer Direct Foods, Inc.
- 2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110°F – 115°F)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 – 1 ¼ cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour
- ¼ cup roasted and salted pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 (5-ounce) package sweetened, dried red tart cherries
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons roasted and salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, dissolve yeast in warm water. Wait 5 – 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof). Stir in honey, egg, white whole wheat flour, gluten, salt, and butter. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually stir in enough bread flour to make a soft dough. Switch to dough hook and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 – 10 minutes. In the last few minutes, knead in pistachios until well distributed. Place in greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For the filling: Soak cherries in 1 cup boiling water for 15 minutes; drain well. Place cooled cherries and sugar in food processor bowl; process until thick. Grease or line with parchment a 12" x 18" half sheet pan.
- For two loaves, deflate dough; divide into 4 equal pieces; cover two pieces and set aside. Roll each piece into a 6"x 12" rectangle. Spread ¼ of the cherry mixture on each rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, beginning from 12" end; pinch edges of dough to seal. Place two ropes, seam-side down, on baking sheet. Twist together gently; pinch the ends to seal and turn under loaf to secure. Repeat to make second loaf.
- Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake twists until golden brown, about 30 – 35 minutes. Tent with foil to prevent excess browning. The internal temperature should register about 190°F – 200°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and place on a rack.
- For the glaze: In a small saucepan, heat honey, sugar, and butter to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in pistachios. Brush on twists.
2 loaves, 12 servings each.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
(1 SLICE, 48g): 140 calories, 25 calories from fat, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 26g total carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 9g sugars, 3g protein, 15mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 10mg calcium, 1mg iron.