Food Blogger Division Champion
2019 National Festival of Breads
“This soft spiced dough with brown sugar, Speculaas spice blend, and blackberry jam swirl, dotted with juicy blackberries and crystallized ginger, is a joy to bake and serve!” — Merry Graham, Newhall, California
3 ½ – 3 ¾ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
½ cup water
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup whole milk (115°F – 120°F)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon KING ARTHUR® Speculaas Spice*
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
Blackberry Speculaas Filling
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup dark brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons KING ARTHUR® Speculaas Spice*
2 tablespoons KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
¼ cup blackberry seedless jam or preserves
2 tablespoons finely chopped crystalized ginger
¾ cup halved fresh blackberries
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 – 2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of fine sea salt
Fresh thyme sprigs
Grated zest of ½ lemon
- In small saucepan over medium heat, whisk 3 tablespoons flour and water until thick. Transfer to bowl of stand mixer. Let cool to 120°F.
- Using paddle attachment, stir in 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter, milk, egg, cornstarch, lemon zest, vanilla, Speculaas, salt and ginger; mix on low speed 2 minutes. Scrape bowl.
- Switch to dough hook; add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead 5 – 6 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover, let rise until doubled.
- Line an extra-large baking sheet with parchment, and place it on top of another extra-large baking sheet, to prevent over-browning of bottom crust. Grease the outside of a 3” oven-safe ramekin and invert into center.
- For filling: In small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, Speculaas, flour and zest until smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 20” x 12” rectangle. Spread filling over dough, then jam, leaving ½” border. Sprinkle on ginger and halved blackberries. Starting at the 20” side, roll dough into tight log; pinch edges to seal.
- Wrap log, seam-side down, around ramekin. Pinch ends together. Cut 12, 1 ½” slices, ¾ of the way to center leaving center circle attached. To form heart-shape rolls, twist first roll to the left, and place spiral facing up. Twist roll on the right of spiral to the right, and place spiral facing up. Repeat until 6 large hearts are formed. Cover; let rise until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 30 – 35 minutes until golden, rotating pan halfway through baking. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before sliding to rack. After 15 minutes, remove ramekin and parchment; let cool.
- For lemon glaze: In small bowl, whisk together ingredients and drizzle over wreath. Decorate with blackberries and thyme. Before serving, finely grate lemon over wreath. Store in refrigerator.
*To make your own Speculaas: Whisk together 2 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, ½ teaspoon ground white pepper (optional), ¼ teaspoon ground anise, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger and ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom. Store in sealable container.
*Storage Tip: Wrap individual rolls in parchment paper and place in sealed container; refrigerate up to 7 days. To reheat: Leave individual roll on paper, and heat in microwave, on HIGH, 10 seconds. Serve immediately.
*Rising Tip: Place kneaded dough in lightly oiled 8-cup container and cover. When the dough has risen to the 8-cup mark, it is ready to form!
Yield: 1 wreath, 12 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 121g): 350 calories, 90 calories from fat, 10g fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 40mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 24g sugars, 6g protein, 82mcg folate, 5mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.