I really enjoy the flatbread served by both Subway & Quiznos. I cannot find anything close to this product in grocery stores. Quiznos and Subway will not sell just the flatbread in bulk nor disclose their source.
Question: Do you know of a retail outlet--on-line or otherwise--that sells a flatbread product that would compare in quality to what Quiznos & Subway use for their sandwiches?
Hi, Many of the restaurants and sandwich shops are serving Focaccia—a savory Italian flat bread. I'm sorry, I don't know where you could purchase it but I suggest you make your own!
This is a favorite recipe that we first printed in our 1993 Kansas Wheat Commission Recipe Booklet.
½ cup warm water (90⁰F)
1 tablespoon active dry or quick rise yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
4-4 ½ cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup warm water (90⁰F)
¼ cup olive oil
Dough seasonings or toppings as desired
1. Combine ½ cup water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. In large bowl, combine yeast mixture, 3 cups flour, salt, 1 cup water and olive oil. Mix by hand or with a dough hook until the dough forms into a rough ball.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, using additional flour to knead. If using the mixer with a dough hook, add all but the last half cup flour and add only if needed. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
4. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise 1 to 1 ½ hours. Punch down and divide into two or three portions. Cover and let rest 5 to 15 minutes.
5. To shape, flatten to desired thickness in rectangles (9” x 13”) or rounds (8” or 9” pie plates are ideal). Place on oiled baking pans; cover and let rise 30 minutes.
6. Dimple the dough vigorously with the finger tips. Cover again and let double in size (30 minutes to 1 hour).
7. Brush surface with olive oil and sprinkle with selected toppings: fresh or dried herbs, such as sage, oregano, rosemary and green onions. Bake on the lowest rack of a preheated 450⁰F oven for about 15 minutes, or until bottom is well browned.
Makes 24 servings.
Nutrient analysis. One serving provides: 107 calories, 3 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 2 g fat, 0 cholesterol, 4 mg calcium, 31 mg potassium and 179 mg sodium.