1 (14.5 oz.) can, no sugar added, fruit cocktail
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 large egg
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain fruit cocktail and reserve juice. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 x 2 -inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, cinnamon and baking soda.
3. In large bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar and vanilla.
4. Stir in fruit cocktail juice and flour mixture;
5. Fold in fruit cocktail until thoroughly combined. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and cake is golden brown.
6. If desired, add topping.
1 serving, without topping, provides approximately:
2 g protein
22 g carbohydrate
1 g dietary fiber
0 g fat (0 g saturated)
9 mg cholesterol
10 mcg folate
1 mg iron
131 mg sodium
Note: This recipe has no added fat.
Kansas Wheat Commission Test Kitchen Note
KWC Test Kitchen Variations:
Coconut and Pecan Topping (shown in photo):
In small saucepan, combine ⅓ cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup evaporated milk, 4 tablespoons butter, ½ cup sweetened flake coconut and ¼ cup chopped pecans. Boil 10-12 minutes, stirring constantly until thick. While cake is hot, poke holes in cake with fork and pour hot topping on cake.
Chocolate Chip and Pecan Topping:
Before baking cake, sprinkle ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate morsels and ¼ cup chopped pecans on top.