½ cup white whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
¼-½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8 x 2-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt and baking soda.
3. In large microwaveable bowl, melt margarine and chocolate 30 seconds on High; stir. Continue heating and stirring until completely melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla.
4. Using spoon, thoroughly beat in eggs; stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture and mix until combined.
5. Spread batter in prepared pan. If desired, sprinkle on pecans.
6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Brownies will pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cut into 2-inch squares.
1 serving provides approximately:
2 g protein
20 g carbohydrates
1 g dietary fiber
6 g fat (2 g saturated)
23 mg cholesterol
8 mcg folate
1 mg iron
150 mg sodium
Kansas Wheat Commission Test Kitchen Note
Recipe may be doubled for a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.