Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 24 cookies
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. In small bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add the granulated sugar; beat mixture until combined. Stir in egg, orange peel and vanilla; beat mixture until well combined.
3. Stir in the flour mixture and milk just until combined.
4. Shape into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in topping mixture.
5. Bake cookies in a preheated 375 degrees F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Per cookie: 74 cal, 3 g fat, 13 mg chol, 59 mg sodium, 12 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 1 g pro, 1 mcg folate.