Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 8-10 minutes
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup dark chocolate chips
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup crushed peppermint candy
36 whole peppermint candy melts (Wilton), optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or line with parchment paper two cookie sheets.
2. In medium bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating until smooth.
3. Stir in the cocoa and flour; the dough will be sticky. Mix in the chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candy.
4. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving 1 ½-inch between them.
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies are set. Remove from oven. If desired, place a whole peppermint candy in center of each cookie. Note: cookies will be very soft coming out of the oven, but will firm up as they cool on the cookie sheet.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
One cookie provides approximately 136 calories; 2 g protein; 20 g carbohydrate; 2 g dietary fiber; 6 g fat (3g saturated); 18 mg cholesterol; 7 mcg folate; 3 mg iron and 84 mg sodium.