- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup lukewarm water (110°F-115°F)
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening or butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 7 ½ -7 ¾ cups all-purpose flour or bread flour OR
- 4 cups whole wheat flour plus 3 1/4-3 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
In small bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water, stirring in ½ teaspoon sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
In mixer bowl, beat shortening with ½ cup sugar; add egg, salt, cooled milk, and dissolved yeast.
Stir in flour a little at a time until dough is stiff enough to knead. Knead by hand or with dough hook 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down dough. Shape as desired.
Note: Dough may be kept covered in refrigerator for several days and used when needed.
Combine 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, ¼ teaspoon vanilla, almond, or lemon extract, and enough milk or water to make of drizzling consistency (about 5 teaspoons).
1/2 cup granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon or use 1 part ground cinnamon to 4 parts granulated sugar.
2018 Kansas Wheat Commission Bread Shaping for All Seasons Recipe Book