¾ c. whole wheat flour
¾ c. all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
¼ c. margarine or butter (½ stick),
½ c. low-fat buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Drop the margarine in the center, cover it with the flour mixture, and quickly rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
3. Add buttermilk; stir quickly with fork 20 strokes. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6 to 8 strokes until dough holds together.
4. With a lightly floured rolling pin, gently roll dough into an 8-inch circle.
5. Cut dough into eight pie-shaped wedges. Place wedges slightly apart on greased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden.
6. Serve warm, fresh from the oven. Best on day they are made.
Yield: 8 scones
EACH SCONE About 152 calories, 3 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 26 mcg folate, 1 mg iron, 279 mg sodium