“These are my absolute favorite biscotti. I make these around Thanksgiving and Christmas for my family and gifts. Just imagine dipping one in a cup of espresso…ahh, heaven." - Donna Popkin, Lexington, Mass.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 dozen
¾ cup English walnuts
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brandy, cognac, rum or brandy extract
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place walnuts on baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Chop coarsely.
- Reduce oven to 325°F. Line baking sheet with foil; grease lightly with butter and dust with a few sprinkles of flour.
- In mixer bowl, beat together butter and sugar until soft and smooth. Beat in the eggs, mix well. Add vanilla and brandy or other flavoring. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and walnuts until combined.
- On a lightly floured board, divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Form each into a strip about 2 inches wide and 12 inches long. Transfer strips to baking sheet, leaving several inches between them. Bake 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove biscotti and let cool 30 minutes. Using sharp, serrated knife, cut strips on a diagonal into ½-inch slices. Place, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Return to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until slices are dry and lightly toasted. Transfer biscotti to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container. Note: biscottis may be frozen.
1 serving provides approximately:
1 g protein
9 g carbohydrates
0 g dietary fiber
3 g fat (1 g saturated)
13 mg cholesterol
15 mcg folate
.41 mg iron
20 mg sodium
Kansas Wheat Commission Test Kitchen Variation: Replace walnuts with ¾ cup semisweet chocolate morsels.