6 ½ - 7 cups bread flour
2 packages RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
½ cup lukewarm water (110-115°F)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 cups hot water (120-130°F)
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
⅓ cup vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 beaten egg
1. Stir and spoon flour into a dry, standard measuring cup. Level off with straight-edged knife.
2. Dissolve yeast in water with granulated sugar. Combine hot water, brown sugar, salt, shortening, vital wheat gluten, and whole wheat flour; mix 2 minutes. Stir in yeast and egg; beat well. Stir in 2 cups bread flour, mix well. Cover, let rest 10 minutes.
3. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to make a moderately soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface till smooth and satiny, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease surface. Cover, let rise in warm (80°F) place until double. Punch down. Divide in fourths, shape each into a smooth ball. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Shape into loaves; place in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½-inch pans.
5. Cover, let rise in warm (90°F) place until double.
6. Bake in preheated 400°F oven 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350°F, bake 25 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
Makes 4 loaves, 16 slices each.
Nutrition information per serving (one slice): 81 cal, 1 g fat, 3 mg chol, 111 mg sodium, 14 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 2 g pro, 29 mcg folate.