Patrice Hurd, Bemidji, Minnesota
2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
½ cup water
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
¼ cup honey
½ cup sour cream
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 cups English walnut pieces
¼ cup honey
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon King Arthur® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon maple extract
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1. For the dough: In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix 3 cups flour and yeast. Heat water, butter, honey, sour cream and salt to 120°F - 130°F. On low speed, slowly pour over dry ingredients until blended.
2. Add eggs and beat at medium speed 2 minutes; add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Switch to dough hook, knead 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turn to coat. Cover; let rise until doubled.
3. Lightly grease and line with parchment two
8 ½”x 4 ½” loaf pans. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press to deflate. Cover; let rest 5 minutes.
4. For the filling: Place walnuts in food processor or blender and finely grind to a paste. Pulse in honey, butter, flour, cinnamon and egg yolks.
5. Divide dough in half and roll into a 14” square. Spread half of the filling to within 1” of edges. Roll up, pinch seam to seal. With seam-side down, with a sharp knife, cut roll in half lengthwise, cutting clear through the dough.
6. Place halves, side-by-side with cut edges up; twist together several times, keeping the cut edges up. Pinch ends to seal, tuck under loaf. Transfer to pan. Repeat with other half. Cover with lightly sprayed plastic wrap; let rise until doubled. Preheat oven to 350°F.
7. Bake loaves 40 minutes or until golden. If needed, loosely cover bread with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. The bread is done when a thermometer inserted into the center registers 195°F. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Peel away parchment and place loaves on rack to cool.
8. For the glaze: Heat butter and honey in microwave until butter melts. Whisk in maple extract and confectioners’ sugar; drizzle over bread.
Yield: 2 loaves, 18 servings each.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 44g)
160 calories, 3g protein, 19g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 9g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 45mcg folate, 40mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 16mg calcium.