Jessie Grearson, Falmouth, Maine
½ cup squash water, reserved from cooking squash
½ cup milk
5 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, cubed
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
2 cups King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour, divided
½ cup finely ground almond meal/flour
2 large eggs, beaten
2 - 2 ½ cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour
7 - 8 ounces almond paste
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1 - 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Wash, peel, remove seeds and cube squash. In medium saucepan, add cubed squash and enough water to cover squash. Cover; cook over medium-low heat until squash is soft. Drain well and mash. Reserve ½ cup squash water.
2. Heat milk until bubbles appear. Add butter, brown sugar, squash, cinnamon and oil. Stir until butter melts; add salt.
3. In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine reserved squash water (110°F - 115°F) and yeast. Wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to foam (proof). Stir in white whole wheat flour, almond meal/flour, eggs and squash mixture; beat 2 minutes. Gradually stir in bread flour to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. With dough hook, knead 8 - 10 minutes.
4. Place in greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled. Or, let rise in refrigerator overnight.
5. Divide dough into 4 pieces (if chilled, let come to room temperature for easy handling). Working with one piece, while keeping other pieces covered, roll into a 12” x 8” rectangle. Divide into six, 2” strips.
6. Soften ¼ of almond paste in microwave a few seconds. Roll into a 24” rope; divide into six, 4” pieces. Place inside 2” strip and roll up; seal edges to form an 11” rope. Twist and coil rope into snail shape; pinch end and tuck under roll. Repeat.
7. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Cover; let rise until doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 13-18 minutes until light brown.
8. For the glaze: Whisk together sugar, butter, almond extract and milk. Drizzle over rolls; garnish with almonds.
Yield: 24 rolls.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 ROLL, 72g)
240 calories, 6g protein, 32g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 10g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 23mg cholesterol, 60mcg folate, 210mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 47mg calcium.