1 lb. loaf frozen wheat or white bread dough, thawed
1 lb. extra-lean (97%) ground beef or turkey
1 Tbsp. dried onion or 1 sm. onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (30% less sodium)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce, (no salt added)
1 ¼ c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Thaw frozen dough as instructed on package.
2. Brown meat and drain thoroughly. Stir in onion, taco seasoning, and tomato sauce. Simmer 5 minutes; let cool.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll bread dough into 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread with filling. Roll up from long side and pinch edges together.
4. Cut into 12 one-inch thick rolls. Place cut-side-up in a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan or 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let rise until doubled in size.
5. Bake in preheated 400° F. oven 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese and serve warm.
Variation: Use 1/3 of the Ice Box Rolls dough in place of the bread dough.
Tip: Recipe can be doubled. After baking the pinwheels let cool on wire rack; place in freezer bags, date and store in freezer. For a quick meal, warm in microwave or oven and top with Cheddar cheese before serving.
Yield: 12 pinwheels
EACH PINWHEEL About 184 calories, 15 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 11 mcg folate, 2 mg iron, 406 mg sodium