To update the recipe Falk used whole grain spaghetti which is an excellent source of fiber.
½ pound lean ground turkey, beef or pork
1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
½ cup skim milk
1 egg, beaten
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12” - 14” pizza pan with cooking spray. Do not choose a pizza pan with holes designed for a crisp crust.
- In a small skillet, brown meat with minced garlic; drain.
- Break spaghetti into 3-inch pieces. Cook according to package directions; drain thoroughly.
- In large bowl, combine milk and egg. Stir in thoroughly drained spaghetti.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Top with sauce, meat, cheese, and your choice of toppings: drained sliced mushrooms, drained sliced ripe olives, chopped green pepper and sliced pepperoni.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until spaghetti crust is firm and cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Note: This recipe can easily be doubled, except Cindy recommends using only 3 cups spaghetti sauce. Bake in a greased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
Nutrition Per Serving: Pizza made with ground turkey, sauce, and part-skim cheese with no additional topping.
(1/8th of pizza, 142 g): 180 calories,3.5g fat, 4g fiber, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 25g carbohydrates,19mg cholesterol,422mg sodium,15g protein,5mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 151mg calcium.