Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 tablespoon water
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup rolled wheat flakes or old fashioned rolled oats, dry
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 to 40 seconds. Add the brown and granulated sugars; beat mixture until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat mixture until well combined.
3. Beat in flour mixture with a spoon. Stir in the rolled wheat, coconut, Rice Krispies and pecans just until combined.
4. Roll into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Pat down balls to 1 inch thick.
5. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 12 to 13 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
per one cookie: 130 cal, 6 g fat, 10 mg chol, 70 mg sodium, 18 g carbo, 1 g fiber, 2 g pro, 13 mcg folate
For Heartland Mill rolled wheat flakes, go to www.heartlandmill.com.
Tip: 1 to 2 teaspoons of water may be added if dough feels dry.