These whole grain muffins are packed with goodness for busy days. This throwback recipe was promoted by the Kansas Wheat Commission in 1989.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat bran cereal*
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
2 ½ cups buttermilk**
½ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped dried fruit, your choice
Wheat bran (optional)
- In a sealable 3-quart bowl, combine all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, bran cereal, oats, sugar, orange zest, allspice, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs and dried fruit.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until ingredients are blended. Do not over-mix. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate at least 3 hours or several days.
- When ready to bake, remove muffin batter from refrigerator and preheat oven to 400°F. Grease muffin cups or use paper liners. Spoon or scoop batter with a standard ice cream scoop filling cups ⅔ full. If desired, sprinkle on wheat bran.
- Bake 18 - 20 minutes until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pans immediately and place on rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in airtight container.
Yield: 24 medium-sized muffins.
*Kellogg’s®All-Bran® Original cereal was used to test the recipe.
**Make buttermilk by adding 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice in a glass-measuring cup; add whole milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir to combine and let stand 15 minutes.
Dried fruit variations: cranberries, dark raisins, golden raisins, apricots, peaches, plums, pears, apples, blueberries, pineapple, mangoes or nectarines.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 MUFFIN, 71g): 190 calories, 50 calories from fat, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 32g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 18g sugars, 4g protein, 40mcg folate, 4mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.