Susan Wiebe, Wichita, Kansas
1 cup steel-cut oats, dry
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 cups boiling water
1 cup King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
3 - 3 ¼ cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
1 ½ tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Quick∙Rise™ Yeast
1. Place into bread machine pan the oats, honey, butter, salt and boiling water. Let set 30 minutes.
2. Add white whole wheat flour, 3 cups bread flour, gluten and yeast. Program for Dough cycle and press Start. Check the dough’s consistency about 5 minutes after the kneading cycle begins, adding additional water or flour as needed to form a soft, smooth ball of dough.
3. Spray two 8 ½” x 4 ½” loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. After the bread machine completes its cycle, transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Divide dough in half; cover, let rest 10 minutes.
4. Shape into loaves by rolling each into a 10” x 6” rectangle. Starting with 6” edge, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in pans with seam underneath.
5. Cover; let rise until doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Bake 30 - 35 minutes. The bread is done when golden brown and a thermometer inserted into the center registers about 205°F. Remove loaves from oven and after 5 minutes turn out onto a rack to cool.
Yield: 2 loaves, 16 servings each.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 slice, 61 g)
170 calories, 5g protein, 33g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 2g fat, .5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 2mg cholesterol, 62mcg folate, 110mg sodium, 1mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 6mg calcium.