Katharine Breece, San Diego, California
½ cup King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Quick∙Rise™ Yeast
2 tablespoons turbinado raw cane sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¾ cup unpeeled, finely chopped ripe pear (1 small)
¾ cup ice cold water*
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup turbinado raw cane sugar
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Milk and 1 tablespoon turbinado raw cane sugar (optional)
*KWC Test Kitchen Note: Ice cold water is necessary to minimize overheating the dough in the food processor.
- For the dough: In an 11-cup food processor fitted with dough blade, combine 2 ¼ cups bread flour, white whole wheat flour, yeast, sugar, salt and cardamom. Process until well combined. Add pear and process 30 seconds.
- Combine water, egg and oil. With processor running, steadily drizzle the liquid through the tube until dough forms a ball. Depending on the ripeness of the pear, additional flour may be needed. Process 60 seconds to knead dough. Transfer dough to oiled bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled.
- For the filling: Combine sugar and cinnamon. Grease one 12” x 4” loaf pan or 10” x 5” loaf pan.
- On floured work surface, deflate the dough. For 12” x 4” pan, roll into a 15” x 12” rectangle; for 10” x 5” pan, roll into a 15” x 8” rectangle. Spread butter over dough and sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon. Starting with short side, roll up tightly; pinch edges and ends to seal. Place seam-side down. With bench knife, cut ¾” slices, slicing almost completely through the roll. Transfer to loaf pan.
- Cover; let rise until almost doubled. If desired, right before baking, brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar. If using 12” x 4” pan, bake in preheated 400°F oven 10 minutes, then 375°F 25 - 30 minutes. If using 10” x 5” pan, bake at 375°F 40 - 45 minutes. Halfway through baking, turn the pan around for even baking. To prevent over-browning, loosely cover bread with aluminum foil. The bread is done when golden and a thermometer inserted registers 205°F - 210°F. Cool in pan 20 minutes; turn loaf out onto a rack.
Yield: 1 large loaf, 16 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 57g)
140 calories, 4g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 52mcg folate, 150mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 9mg calcium.