Katharine Breece, San Diego, California
½ cup King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Quick∙Rise™ Yeast
2 tablespoons turbinado raw cane sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¾ cup unpeeled, finely chopped ripe pear (1 small)
¾ cup ice cold water*
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
*KWC Test Kitchen Note: Ice cold water is necessary to minimize overheating the dough in the food processor.
¼ cup turbinado raw cane sugar
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Milk and 1 tablespoon turbinado raw cane sugar (optional)
- For the dough: In an 11-cup food processor fitted with dough blade, combine 2 ¼ cups bread flour, white whole wheat flour, yeast, sugar, salt and cardamom. Process until well combined. Add pear and process 30 seconds.
- Combine water, egg and oil. With processor running, steadily drizzle the liquid through the tube until dough forms a ball. Depending on the ripeness of the pear, additional flour may be needed. Process 60 seconds to knead dough. Transfer dough to oiled bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled.
- For the filling: Combine sugar and cinnamon. Grease one 12” x 4” loaf pan or 10” x 5” loaf pan.
- On floured work surface, deflate the dough. For 12” x 4” pan, roll into a 15” x 12” rectangle; for 10” x 5” pan, roll into a 15” x 8” rectangle. Spread butter over dough and sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon. Starting with short side, roll up tightly; pinch edges and ends to seal. Place seam-side down. With bench knife, cut ¾” slices, slicing almost completely through the roll. Transfer to loaf pan.
- Cover; let rise until almost doubled. If desired, right before baking, brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar. If using 12” x 4” pan, bake in preheated 400°F oven 10 minutes, then 375°F 25 - 30 minutes. If using 10” x 5” pan, bake at 375°F 40 - 45 minutes. Halfway through baking, turn the pan around for even baking. To prevent over-browning, loosely cover bread with aluminum foil. The bread is done when golden and a thermometer inserted registers 205°F - 210°F. Cool in pan 20 minutes; turn loaf out onto a rack.
Yield: 1 large loaf, 16 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 57g): 140 calories, 4g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 52mcg folate, 150mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 9mg calcium.