1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup bulgur
1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives, drained
1/2 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes in oil, drained
1/4 cup warm water (100° - 110°F)
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups 2 percent milk (110°F)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
3 1/2 - 4 cups bread flour, divided
1 tablespoon pizza seasoning
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 egg white, beaten
- In saucepan, heat 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in bulgur. Cover; let stand 40 minutes. Drain.
- Thoroughly drain olives and tomatoes on paper towels.
- In mixer bowl, combine 1/4 cup water, yeast and sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. Add bulgur, milk and butter. Stir in white whole wheat flour; beat 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups bread flour and pizza seasoning. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a workable dough. Knead 7 minutes by hand or with dough hook.
- Add olives, tomatoes and basil. Knead 3 minutes to incorporate ingredients. Place dough into an oiled bowl. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double.
- Punch down dough; divide into 24 equal portions. Roll into 14-inch ropes. Tie in a loose knot, leaving two long ends. Tuck one end under the roll and pinch to seal. Bring the other end up and over the roll and pinch to seal on the underneath side.
- Place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheets 2 inches apart. Cover; let rise until almost double. Carefully brush rolls with beaten egg white.
- Bake in preheated 375° F oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown, then turn out onto rack to cool.
Makes 24 rolls.
Nutrition information per roll:
One roll provides approximately 177 calories, 5 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 5 g fat (3 g saturated), 11 mg cholesterol, 43 mcg folate, 1 mg iron and 78 mg sodium.