1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
1 (1 ¼-ounce) package mild taco or chili seasoning mix
1 cup water
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain well. Stir in beans, seasoning mix, and water. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour tomato sauce into a pie pan. Coat both sides of tortillas with sauce.
4. Layer beef mixture and tortillas in baking pan, overlapping tortillas to fit. Sprinkle cheese on top.
5. Bake 20 minutes. If desired, garnish with salsa and lettuce.
Tip: Prepare casserole in two 9-inch pans; bake one and freeze one for later use.
Variation: Use whole wheat or reduced fat tortillas.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition information per serving (6.62 oz. serving): 277 cal, 8 g fat, 20 mg chol, 843 mg sodium, 33 g carbo, 4 g fiber, 17 g pro, 57 mcg folate.