A tantalizing quick-to-fix casserole using one of the most popular wheat foods — tortillas.
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
1 (1 ¼-ounce) package mild taco or chili seasoning mix
1 cup water
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain well. Stir in beans, seasoning mix, and water. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour tomato sauce into a pie pan. Coat both sides of tortillas with sauce.
- Layer beef mixture and tortillas in baking pan, overlapping tortillas to fit. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake 20 minutes. If desired, garnish with salsa and lettuce.
Tip: Prepare casserole in two 9-inch pans; bake one and freeze one for later use.
Variation: Use whole wheat or reduced fat tortillas.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition information per serving (6.62 oz. serving): 277 cal, 8 g fat, 20 mg chol, 843 mg sodium, 33 g carbo, 4 g fiber, 17 g pro, 57 mcg folate.