Makes 1 large loaf.
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (110°F-115°F)
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2 ¼- 2 ½ cups bread or all-purpose flour, divided
Glaze-1 egg white plus 2 tablespoons water
- In large mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, shortening, salt, and 1 cup flour. Beat well, about 2 minutes.
- Add enough remaining flour until soft dough forms. Form into a ball, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Knead dough by hand or with dough hook until smooth and satiny, about 8 minutes. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning dough to grease entire surface. Cover, let rise until doubled.
- Punch down dough. Roll or pat into a rectangle about 15” x 6” and roll starting on long side, sealing with each roll, as for a jelly roll or cinnamon rolls. Taper ends. Place on lightly greased or parchment-lined half-sheet pan or large cookie sheet.
- Cover, let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Make slashes every 2 inches across top surface with a sharp knife or lame. Brush with egg glaze. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Yield: 1 large loaf, 22 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 slice, 28g): 70 calories, 1.5g fat, 0g fiber, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 12g carbohydrates, 0mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 2g protein, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 9mg calcium.