1¼ cups whole wheat flour
1¼ all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1-1¼ cups warm water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or shortening
1. In large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Gradually add enough warm water and oil to make a soft dough. Stir until mixture is combined and sticks together. If dough is too sticky, add small sprinkles of flour. Knead dough lightly to form a smooth dough ball for about two minutes. If dough is dry, add small sprinkles of water.
3. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces; shape each into a ball. Cover; let dough rest 15 to 20 minutes before rolling out or place in sealable bag and refrigerate overnight.
4. Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball, starting in the center and rolling out, into an 8 to 10-inch circle.
5. Heat griddle or skillet to 400°F. Bake each tortilla about 1½ to 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Tortilla will have brown speckled spots. Stack, cover and keep warm.
1 tortilla provides approximately:
5 g protein
28 g carbohydrate
2 g dietary fiber
4 g fat (0 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
33 mcg folate
2 mg iron
219 mg sodium