A favorite recipe from the 1950s that makes enough to feed a wheat harvest crew. Serve the Sloppy Joes on homemade Food Processor Buns.
1 ½ pounds ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
½ pound ground pork sausage
1 cup dried bread crumbs, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
2 cups tomato juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix ingredients.
- Spread in a large shallow pan. Bake, stirring frequently, for 1 hour.
- Spoon into split buns and serve while hot.
- Yield: 6 cups Sloppy Joes, 12 (½ cup) servings.
Note: Recipe can easily be doubled for feeding an even bigger harvest crew!
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1/2 CUP, 85g): 110 calories, 50 calories from fat, 6g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 10g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 2g sugars, 5g protein, 3mcg folate, 1mg vitamin C, 1mg iron.
Food Processor Buns
3 cups bread or all-purpose flour (may be part whole wheat flour)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (¼ ounce) package instant yeast
3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, cubed
1 cup lukewarm water (90°F)
- In bowl of food processor fitted with dough blade, add flour, sugar, salt, yeast and butter. Place lid on processor and pulse 10 seconds.
- Begin processing, pouring 1 cup warm water through tube. When dough forms a ball, stop adding water. All may not be needed. Process dough an additional 60 seconds to knead.
- Remove dough and smooth into a ball; cover with bowl and let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 buns and flatten into 3 ½” disks. Place buns two inches apart on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake 12 - 15 minutes, until golden and internal temperature registers 190°F - 195°F. Remove buns to rack and cool before slicing.
Yield: 8 large buns.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 BUN, 91g): 240 calories, 45 calories from fat, 5g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 41g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 7g protein, 97mcg folate, 2mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.