Amy Freeze, Avon Park, Florida
¼ cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup scalded milk (180°F), cooled to lukewarm (110°F - 115°F)
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
½ cup warm water (110°F - 115°F)
1 large egg, beaten
4 - 4 ¼ cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 ¼ cups (12 ounces) guava paste, divided
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, stir together sugar, shortening, and salt. Add lukewarm milk.
- Whisk together yeast and water. Wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to foam (proof). Add to mixer bowl along with egg. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add 4 cups flour, switch to dough hook. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft, workable dough. Knead 8 - 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar.
- Deflate the dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; cover, let rest 5 minutes. Roll out half of the dough into a 14” x 9” rectangle. Spread on half of the cream cheese mixture.
- Heat ¼ cup guava paste in microwave a few seconds until smooth. Spread over cream cheese.
- Beginning with 14” edge, tightly roll dough into a log and pinch seam together to seal. Place seam-side down on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Form into an 8” circle pressing ends together. Using scissors or sharp knife, cut slits on top at 1” intervals, about ½” deep. Pick up top layer of dough on each slice and gently twist to reveal filling. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Cover; let rise until almost doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 20 - 22 minutes or until golden. If needed, cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent tea ring from over-browning. A thermometer inserted in center should register 195°F. Remove from oven, and after 5 minutes, transfer to rack to cool.
- For the icing: Whisk together the sugar and milk. Drizzle icing over tea rings.
Yield: 2 tea rings, 16 servings each.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 56g): 150 calories, 3g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 4.5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 14mg cholesterol, 40mcg folate, 103mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 20mg calcium.