Amy Freeze, Avon Park, Florida
¼ cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup scalded milk (180°F), cooled to lukewarm (110°F - 115°F)
1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
½ cup warm water (110°F - 115°F)
1 large egg, beaten
4 - 4 ¼ cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 ¼ cups (12 ounces) guava paste, divided
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
1. In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, stir together sugar, shortening, and salt. Add lukewarm milk.
2. Whisk together yeast and water. Wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to foam (proof). Add to mixer bowl along with egg. Mix until well combined.
3. Gradually add 4 cups flour, switch to dough hook. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft, workable dough. Knead 8 - 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl. Cover; let rise until doubled.
4. For the filling: In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar.
5. Deflate the dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; cover, let rest 5 minutes. Roll out half of the dough into a 14” x 9” rectangle. Spread on half of the cream cheese mixture.
6. Heat ¼ cup guava paste in microwave a few seconds until smooth. Spread over cream cheese.
7. Beginning with 14” edge, tightly roll dough into a log and pinch seam together to seal. Place seam-side down on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Form into an 8” circle pressing ends together. Using scissors or sharp knife, cut slits on top at 1” intervals, about ½” deep. Pick up top layer of dough on each slice and gently twist to reveal filling. Repeat with other half of dough.
8. Cover; let rise until almost doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 20 - 22 minutes or until golden. If needed, cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent tea ring from over-browning. A thermometer inserted in center should register 195°F. Remove from oven, and after 5 minutes, transfer to rack to cool.
9. For the icing: Whisk together the sugar and milk. Drizzle icing over tea rings.
Yield: 2 tea rings, 16 servings each.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 SLICE, 56g)
150 calories, 3g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 4.5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 14mg cholesterol, 40mcg folate, 103mg sodium, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 20mg calcium.