1 cup water
3/4 cup medium chop, fresh green cabbage
1/4 cup chopped baby carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup vegetable liquid (100° - 110°F)
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1 - 1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon shortening
2 tablespoons cornmeal
- In saucepan, cook covered the water, cabbage, carrots and celery until tender. Drain well; reserve 1/3 cup liquid.
- In mixer bowl, add reserved liquid; stir in yeast and let stand 10 minutes.
- In food processor with metal blade, add drained vegetables, milk, oil, egg, parsley, honey and salt. Blend until smooth. Stir into yeast; blend well.
- Stir in whole wheat flour and wheat gluten; mix on low speed 2 minutes. Gradually add enough bread flour to make moderately soft dough. Knead by hand or with dough hook 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turn once to coat. Cover, let rise until double. Grease one 12 x 18 x 1-inch sheet pan with shortening and dust with cornmeal.
- Punch down dough and divide in half. Shape into 2 round free-form loaves. Place on baking sheet. Cover, let rise until double.
- With sharp knife or lame carefully slash top 1/4-inch deep. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 30 to 35 minutes. Loosely cover with foil last 10 minutes to prevent over-browning. Remove to cooling rack; store cooled bread in refrigerator.
Makes 2 small, free-form loaves, 16 servings each.
One slice provides approximately 83 calories; 3 g protein; 12 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat); 8 mg cholesterol; 19 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 120 mg sodium.