A fun, artistic baking project for all ages that are yummy to eat.
2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup shortening
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
⅔ cup honey
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
EGG YOLK PAINT
1 large egg yolk
¼ teaspoon water
Assorted food color
- To prepare cookie dough, sift flour and measure. In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix thoroughly on medium speed the shortening, sugar, egg, honey and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Cover bowl and chill dough at least 1 hour to make it easier to handle.
- When ready to shape cookies, prepare egg yolk paint. In small bowl, beat together egg yolk and water. Divide among small bowls; stir in a different food color.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking sheets with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper. Divide the dough in half; keep one half chilled.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out using floured rolling pin. Roll 1/4” thick.
- Dip cookie cutter in flour to prevent sticking. Cut as many cookies from each rolling as possible. Using a metal spatula, transfer cookies to prepared baking sheet 2-inches apart.
- Paint designs on cookies with small, clean paintbrushes using a different brush for each color. If egg yolk paint thickens on standing, add a few drops of water.
- Bake 6 - 8 minutes. Look at cookies when minimum baking time is up; do not over-bake. For clear colors do not let cookies brown. Transfer cookies to rack to cool. Repeat process with remaining cookie dough. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Yield: about 48, 2 ½-inch cookies.
Tip: Use your imagination and create your own designs. Draw pattern on parchment paper. Cut out and grease one side. Lay pattern greased-side-down on dough and cut around it with a sharp knife.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SLICE (1 COOKIE, 15g): 50 calories, 15 calories from fat, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 9g total carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 5g sugars, 1g protein, 9mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 0mg iron.