Via-Christi HOPE, Wichita, KS
2-pound bread machine loaf
1 1⁄2 cups water (80ºF)
2⁄3 cup 100% bran cereal (All-Bran® Extra Fiber cereal)
1 egg, beaten
1⁄4 cup honey
1 1⁄4 cups bread flour plus 1-2 tablespoons
3 tablespoons wheat gluten
1 cup wheat bran (unprocessed Miller’s Wheat Bran)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1⁄4 cup flaxseed meal
1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 package active dry yeast (21⁄4 tsp.)
Fruit and Nut Mixture:
1⁄3 cup dried blueberries
1⁄3 cup finely chopped, dried apricots
1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Have ingredients at room temperature. Accurately measure all ingredients. For flour, first stir, then spoon into a dry measuring cup and level off with a knife or spatula.
- Add water to bread machine pan; stir in cereal; let soak 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except fruit and nut mixture, to pan. Program bread machine on Whole Grain cycle; light crust color. DO NOT program the machine on the delayed cycle because of food safety concerns.
- Check the dough after 4-5 minutes. The dough should form a soft ball around the kneading blade. If it is too dry, add liquid 1⁄2 to 1 tablespoon at a time, if it is too sticky, add 1 tablespoon flour at a time until right dough consistency is reached.
- For machines with a Fruit/Nut signal, add the fruit and nut mixture at the audible signal or add them near the end of the kneading stage.
- Remove baked bread from pan and cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 (2-pound) loaf, 16 slices.
Note from Linda: I like to replace the water with cranberry juice.
Nutrition information per serving: One slice provides approximately 191 calories; 6 g protein; 37 g carbohydrate; 4 g fat (.43 g saturated); 13 mg cholesterol; 2 mg iron; 6 g dietary fiber; 47 mcg folate and 203 mg sodium.
Choose fiber-rich fruits, vegetables and whole grains often.